When it comes to choosing a platform for your website, you have plenty of options to choose from. WordPress is a popular option for businesses of all sizes in just about every industry, including Disney. While that’s the case, it’s important for you to know which WordPress designer you should use for your website.
WordPress.org vs WordPress.com
Right now, you may be wondering, “What do they mean by ‘which WordPress?’ WordPress is WordPress, isn’t it?” If that’s the case, your confusion is completely understandable. Unless you’re a wordpress designer or developer, you might not even know that there are two distinct versions of WordPress on the Internet. To make things even more confusing, both platforms have a co-founder in common. And that person is Matt Mullenweg.
WordPress.org is normally the platform that people are talking about when they rave about WordPress. WordPress.org is free for anyone to use and it’s open source. That’s typically why people refer to WordPress.org as the self-hosted WordPress. To use WordPress.org, you simply need a domain name and web hosting. When you use WordPress.org, no one will delete your website or blog unless you’re using it for illegal purposes.
WordPress.com is a hosting service that offers multiple plans. While the base plan is free to use, it’s very limited. When you buy one of the fee-based plans, you’ll have access to more features and more control over certain aspects of your website. If you set up a website on WordPress.com, the platform can delete your site if it’s determined that you’ve violated the WordPress.com’s terms of service in any way. We also highly recommend a self-hosted solution such as WP Engine. This option allows you more flexibility when it comes to features, functions and design.
Benefits of Using WordPress
When we discuss WordPress design or WordPress on this page moving forward, we’re referring to designs created for WordPress.org even though Sunlight Media is able to create websites on WordPress.com as well as WordPress.org. Using a WordPress design can provide many key benefits that you’ll often hear web designers and developers, business owners, digital marketers, bloggers and even consumers brag about.
Here are some of the benefits that often accompany having a website on WordPress:
- You Retain Control: When you set up a website on WordPress, you’ll retain complete control over your website at all times. This gives you the freedom to customize your site as much as you’d like. Your WordPress design is yours and yours alone as is all the content you put on your website. As we mentioned earlier, your website will not be “turned off” for any reason unless you are using it to engage in illegal activity.
- Ease of Use: WordPress is very easy to use. The worldwide WordPress community is huge, which means help is always available if you run into a problem. Issues related to WordPress are also very easy to research online.
- Plugins and Apps: You can add a wide array of plugins and apps to a WordPress design. Free, paid and custom plugins and apps are all compatible with the platform and they can be integrated seamlessly.
- Themes: WordPress has an extremely generous number of free and paid themes that you can use for your website. You can modify these themes if you want to customize your website or you can have a custom theme created for your site.
- Ad Revenue: If you run your own ads on your WordPress website, you won’t have to share the revenue they generate with anyone as you might on another platform.
- Google Analytics: You can use analytical tools like Google Analytics to analyze data related to your website and track key performance indicators.
- Online Stores: While many people think of content only when they think of WordPress designs, you can set up an ecommerce website on the platform. You can sell digital or tangible goods and services via WordPress. It also allws you to process credit and debit card payments as well as payments initiated through other sources such as digital wallets. Anyone can ship products directly from your WordPress website as well.
- Membership Websites: WordPress can even accommodate membership websites with ease. You can sell premium memberships that grant access to protected content or specialized courses on WordPress, for example. You can also create a members-only community based on your website if you wanted to do so.
With so many benefits to having a WordPress designer, you’re probably wondering if there are any downsides to using WordPress for your website. If that’s the case, you can take comfort in knowing that there really aren’t any negatives to using WordPress.
While that’s true, there are two things you will remain responsible for once your site is “live” on the platform. You will need to initiate updates and backups. Updates are simple on WordPress. You just have to click the update button once and voila – your site will update on its own.
Backing up your site on WordPress isn’t too much more involved than initiating an update. That’s because there are plenty of WordPress backup plugins that will back up your website automatically. Once you install one of those plugins, you’ll barely have to think about backing up your website, if you think about it at all.
WordPress Designer – Our best work (2018)
At Sunlight Media, we work with small and mid-size businesses in a wide variety of industries to create WordPress designers that make their websites stand out. We also offer support services for WordPress development and we’re happy to perform updates and backups. Of course, we’re equally happy to help out whenever you want to make minor changes to your site or overhaul it completely.
Whether you’re a performer interested in a website to promote your latest work or an upcoming tour, you run a non-profit that needs a website for fundraising or you want an ecommerce site or another kind of WordPress website, we can help. Here are some of the clients we’ve already made websites for using a WordPress platform:
We invite you to look through our portfolio of WordPress designs now. Once you’ve reviewed our work, we encourage you to contact Sunlight Media to learn more about our website design services. We look forward to creating a WordPress design for your business soon.
Contact us today! 323.868.3581